Reasons for Concrete Floors
Concrete floors have gained huge popularity in recent years. Previously considered solely as a utilitarian material, concrete can actually add major visual intrigue or upscale style to any home, office or place of business. Today, Great Guys Painting will guide you through the various reasons why concrete flooring is a fantastic pick for your space!
Already have concrete flooring but need it finished? Great Guys is ready to assist! We make it easy to hire a fully certified & experienced contractor in your area. From polishing to staining to painting, our network of fully vetted, insured, and affordable partners provide top-notch services. Request your free estimate today!
What are Concrete Floors?
Before we jump into the benefits (and drawbacks) of concrete flooring, let’s take a look at exactly what it’s all about.
There are two main categories of concrete floors. These are existing and overlay. Existing concrete is made up of large slabs that serve as a fantastic canvas for an assortment of finishing treatments (more on those below). Concrete overlay consists of a thin layer poured over another surface. This allows you to add a nice decorative flare to any room.
Of course, raw concrete on its own may not be particularly pleasing. It’s rough, dull, and depressing. But with the right technique, you can transform a dreary surface into breathtakingly beautiful flooring. Get a hold of Great Guys today to explore your options!
Types of Concrete Floor Finishing
There are so many ways to go about finishing concrete floors. From minimalist chic to eye-catching color, concrete really is a blank canvas on which you can express your particular vision. Below, you’ll find the most popular techniques to transform your space:
- Polishing: In search of shine & luster without breaking the bank? Look no further than polished concrete! This treatment takes a dull surface and turns it into smooth, luxurious flooring. If you like the look of smooth stone, this is the top pick.
- Staining: Offering dimensionality & allure, stained concrete floors are amazing to behold. Stain is translucent, so it doesn’t completely disguise the underneath texture. This results in a surface that you might find hard not to stare at for hours at end!
- Stenciling: For fans of intricate detail and flourishes, stenciled concrete floors are a classy addition to a home. There’s an endless list of designs available, which allows you to dial in the perfect bespoke look to compliment your furnishings.
- Painting: For those wanting to hide the presence of concrete altogether, or just want to add a punch of color, painted concrete flooring is the way to go! This popular option is non-transparent and can completely transform the look of gray concrete.
- Dying: Providing better saturation and penetration than stain, dyed concrete floors are created with either water-based or solvent-based formulas. Water-based offers a marble-like appearance, while solvent-based is more uniform.
- Metallic Coating: Going for a contemporary design? Want to add shimmer to the equation? Metallic concrete finishing adds an upscale touch via a mixture of epoxy and metallic pigments or powders.
- Stamping: If you enjoy the look of tile or patterned flooring, stamped concrete is a great way to add the desired effect in any space. Though typically used outdoors, stamping can look fantastic in a kitchen, living room or any other interior area.
Pros and Cons of Concrete Floors
Now, let’s explore the various benefits and drawbacks to concrete flooring in a home.
Concrete floors offer many benefits! Here are the Top 5:
- Versatility: As we quickly went over beforehand, there’s a variety of ways to finish concrete flooring! Whatever your space and design sensibilities, there’s bound to be a look that matches your personal style and furnishings.
- Cost effectiveness: Already have concrete floors? Finishing can be highly affordable. Of course, it depends on the type of concrete finishing, but in a lot of cases you can enjoy nice savings compared to wood flooring and carpet!
- Low maintenance: If you’ve ever had wood floors, you know how much of a pain keeping them clean and crack-free can be. Not the case with concrete. All it really requires is routine sealing and a good mopping every once in a while.
- Durability: With proper care, concrete floors can last for many decades. The longevity alone can be a big selling point. You don’t have to worry about replacement every so many years. And if you want to change up the look, it can be refinished.
- Sustainability: Along with all the aforementioned benefits, concrete is also eco-friendly. How? It isn’t sourced from limited natural resources, requires less energy to make, can be finished with harm-free sealers, and is even recyclable. That’s hard to beat!
As with anything else, there are a handful of downsides to concrete flooring:
- Hard surface: Finished concrete flooring looks amazing, but it’s also a hard & cold surface. It doesn’t retain heat well and can be unpleasant to walk on barefoot. However, this can be remedied with proper heating and smart placement of rugs.
- Slippery: Smooth concrete can be hazardous when wet. It’s best to keep this type of flooring dry to avoid any potential slips. Keep this in mind in areas where there’s likely to be spills and water accumulation (like bathrooms and the kitchen).
- Moisture magnet: Concrete can be damaged by moisture absorption. Sealant can go a long way in preventing issues, along with routine maintenance and mitigation of any moisture sources (including leaky gutters and pooling water on property).
- Potential cracking: There are three main culprits to cracking: settling, temperature, and moisture. These factors can cause deep cracks. Fortunately, cracks can be filled and patched. It’s also another reason why people look at finishing options in the first place.
What to Consider with Concrete Floors
Now that you have a better understanding of why concrete flooring is great for homes (as well as not so great), it’s a good idea to weigh it all out. Concrete flooring might be fantastic or not so much for your project. It all depends on your personal preferences.
Concrete flooring adds a stylish touch to any space, but it’s particularly suited for a modern décor. It also works well with contrasting materials such as wood paneling and brick walls. Do you love area rugs? Concrete goes exceptionally well with rugs!
Of course, if you want a more plush or warmer feel – literally, on your feet – remember that concrete is a hard & cold surface. However, with a combination of radiant heat and strategically placed rugs, these issues can be mitigated with an extraordinary sense of style.
Great Guys Painting hopes you enjoyed this guide on concrete flooring! All in all, concrete floors are an amazing addition to a home. Working with a professional concrete finisher can breathe life into your project, allowing you to bring your dream house to fruition.
In search of a reliable finishing contractor near you? Get started with a free quote now!